Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Music and Yoga

  This past Sunday morning, in my 9:00 am yoga class, which I have probably taught for nigh onto 20 years now, my students willingly and even cheerfully did 58 sun salutations with me, one for every year of my life.  I made a mix tape that included music from each decade, influenced heavily by my East Coast soul upbringing.  'Clean Up Woman' by Betty Wright.  'Tighten Up' by Archie Bell and the Drells.  ("We not only sing, but we dance as good as we want!")  I asked my mom what her favorite song was when she was pregnant with me, and she said, "Oh, your father and I had a song that was 'our song.'  It was 'You Belong to Me' by Patti Page."  And so that was the first song I played.  Not your typical music for yoga practice.
  I'm not usually a fan of music for yoga, but today was an exception.  The music did make the 58 Surya Namaskars fly by, and singing along with the Mamas and the Papas as an entire class gave me goosebumps.  We even did the Electric Slide-asana to "Good Times" by Le Chic!  I'm grateful to my students who indulged me today so gracefully and celebrated freely with me.
  Yet I did notice the slightly maniac way the practice affected me, what with all the flying sun salutations, me shouting over the music like an aerobics instructor, and the music constantly evoking emotion, memory, and body sensation.  Which is of course what I LOVE about music.  And why I don't play it for yoga practice or teaching.  Even though today was joyful, I am aiming to get at a place that is even juicier than joyful in my yoga and meditation practices.  Music, for me, is a stream of personalized associations which are mostly intensely pleasurable, some achingly melancholy, some blindingly painful.  The music often takes me somewhere against my will.  
  Where I am moving toward in my yoga practice is a deep listening.  It's hard for me to listen to the subtle song inside with all the discursive mental reaction to the music and/or lyrics I am hearing.  I noticed that I didn't feel the usual deep quiet that I feel after a yoga class, the satisfaction that I have come to take almost for granted as an after-effect of my practice.
  Don't get me wrong: I adore music.  I love to dance, often with my headphones on and something like "Disturbia" filling my head and body with a primal instinct to move that cannot be denied.  It is divine to be pulled along like that into a stream of such aliveness and joy.
  Yet the yoga space doesn't include music.  For me.  I am a lover of silence, as well as music.  And yoga is the work where I adore the open ended, sometimes even scarily wide open field of silence.  That is where the big transformations happen, that is where I am truly listening so closely, with such devotion and passion, that the subtle dance I need to dance with that silence presents itself, blessedly.
  And there is nothing on earth like that dance.

6 comments:

  1. Great first post, I loved it. I only know about Seattle yoga Arts because of my lovely friend Amy Metzendorf. Now after your first post I am hooked myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that no music can be such an open space to hear ourselves . . . I also love though, listening to simple, instrumental pieces while I practice. Expecially if my mind seems to be wandering too much and I feel like I need a break down a smooth, sweet river of sound. It can set just the right tone to drop inward. Spirit of Yoga and Within are my two favorite right now. SO delicious! And of course the wise may point out that the wandering mind is the practice. Thank the Love for choice though! So many different people on this planet and so many different ways to access center. But yes to jump and jive during a yoga practice can be very discombobulating! And SO many yogis/yoginis have no idea what they are missing when it comes to the ever widening silence. Love!OM HARE OM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!!! Hooray!!! You surrendered to blogdom!!

    You, Denise (being the goddess that you are) - are going to make a lot of people happy and thoughtful with your posts.

    I love this first post - feels so right on (about music and Yoga). I wish i had been there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that I can hear from my teachers...it is so right! Thank you!!
    And I have to say that I love going into quiet and sometimes coming out bursting with joyful noise. I practice at home in a quiet space with a mostly silent stereo. Sometimes I play old John Friend cd's; sometimes I go crazy with loud music!
    When I used to teach a class of teenagers, they asked for music (and I said, no). When my favorite band, The Globes, started recording, I began to play with the notion of music and teaching those kids. It's really fun work, and I think they'd like it, the Global Yoga.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love practicing with and without music, and agree that a deeper practice is more available with silence.
    There are times when it's difficult to get to the mat, and stay there, and music entices me to stay. The music is like a candy that sweetens the edge and soothes my restlessness.
    Other times, the path is right through the middle of the silent restlessness. thanks so much for your post, Denise....... blessings, Kit

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really appreciate your comments on music, yoga and purposes of practice. I love music and sometimes rely on it to fill in the space of feeling rather than connecting to that space that is already existing in me and around me. This can definitely happen in the space of a yoga room. And I also think music can be complimentary and even supportive, depending on the music and the person listening. For me it is also a practice to open to this sound, see where it may bring me, but not let that take over, rather notice and observe, allow for some inquiry.
    Thank you for your sharing.
    Peace

    ReplyDelete